Policy: Charging and Remissions
Agreed by Governing Body March 2013
Reviewed November 2017
At Mabel Prichard School we believe that we have a duty to provide a range of experiences which add excitement and enjoyment to a child’s learning and personal development. All pupils will have an equal opportunity to benefit from school visits, curricular and extra-curricular activities irrespective of their family’s financial circumstance.
However, in order to enable the school to offer a wide range of experiences to pupils, the school will seek voluntary contributions from parents/ carers.
The law says:
- if the activity cannot be funded without voluntary contributions the parents will be notified from the outset
- no child will be excluded from an activity because parents / carers cannot pay
- if insufficient contributions are raised, the trip or activity will be cancelled
- if a parent / carer is unwilling or unable to pay the child will be given equal chance to go on the visit
- when each trip is arranged parents / carers will be notified of the policy for allocating places
Charging for in-school activities
No charge will be made for:
- education provided during school hours
- education provided outside school hours if it is part of the national curriculum
- tuition for pupils learning to play a musical instrument (or singing) if the tuition is required as part of the national curriculum
- entry for a prescribed public examination
- examination re-sits
Charging for visits and trips away from school
No charge will be made for:
- education provided on any trip that takes place during school hours
- education provided on any trip that takes place outside school hours if it is part of the national curriculum, or part of a syllabus for a prescribed public examination or part of religious education
- supply teachers covering for teachers on a residential trip
- transporting registered pupils to and from school premises
- transporting registered pupils to other premises where the governing body / LEA has arranged for pupils to be educated
- transport that enables a pupil to meet examination requirement
Charging for activities / equipment
It is the policy of the school that charges will be made for the following:
- any materials, books, instruments or equipment where a parent / carer wishes their child to own them
- after school clubs
Although we want to offer a wide range of activities to broaden each child’s experience we cannot afford to do everything without help from parents/ carers.
Voluntary contributions will be sought for the following:
- cookery ingredients as part of the Design and Technology curriculum
- transport to and from an educational outing e.g. theatre trips, music concerts, football matches, snakes and ladders etc.
- tissues / wet wipes for the classrooms (actual item)
- cold drinks and snacks for the children at break times (actual item)
We promise the charge will not exceed the actual cost and will obtain your agreement beforehand.
No child will be excluded from an activity if they cannot pay but the activity may be cancelled if insufficient voluntary contributions are received.
No paying child’s contribution will be used to supplement a non paying child
Local and national charities occasional pay for school outings to the theatre, Cotswold Wildlife Park etc. – on these occasions the school will not ask parents for a voluntary contribution
To qualify for remissions (wholly or partly) parents / carers must prove they are in receipt of income support.
Parents/ carers consent
Parents / carers will be asked to complete a permission slip to take part in activities off site. Parents / carers will be asked to complete personal details about their child for insurance purposes.